Ground preparation started in early July. Despite a rainy day and a holiday, the work of getting everything ready for the construction crew took only three days.
The gravel work finished, it was a month before the cement slab could be poured. Contractors are busy people in the summer. But finally it happened. Done in just two days.
The cement was allowed to set for about three days – the warm weather making the short time period possible – and then the framing supplies began to appear. Most of the lumber and the trusses arrived followed shortly by doors, windows and other supplies. The construction crew was delayed by a rainy day, but got underway quickly as soon as they were able.
The framing went up in two days.
Note the headers on this wall. If I had just built a “shop” beside my house, it would have added no real value to my property. By adding these headers, I made it possible for some future owner to convert this building into a two-car garage. I can’t even imaging when anyone will want to do that (I certainly don’t plan on going anywhere soon), but the fact that it can be done adds value.
The roof (or most of it) was framed the next day. It’s a simple truss roof given that future plans are to remove the roof and add a gambrel roof to create a second story (I’m not giving up on that idea).
Actually, this picture was taken around lunch time. But the end of the day a lot more had happened:
Finally, it was time for the roofing, doors and windows.
Total building time (after the cement pad): 5 days.
Thus ended the first chapter of the New Studio Build. The outside is easy and goes up fast. the real time consuming work happens on the inside. I’ll be writing on that soon. For now, here are a couple pictures of the inside of the shell.